Friday, September 26, 2008

On Wikipedia

Have you ever watched a movie and noticed details that were laughably wrong?

Some examples for me:

--The family in "Dan in Real Life" competes in teams on the same crossword. One team yells across the room that they've finished with the acrosses and are starting with the downs--an impossible way to solve a crossword.

--Robert Downey Jr. in "Chaplin" plays the violin, by holding the violin and bow in the wrong hands. (It's not a lefty violin--the chinrest is on the correct side.)

--Gogol's mother in "The Namesake" has the title of Librarian, but all she seems to do is shelve books.

If these movies are this wrong about stuff I do know, how can they possibly be accurate regarding anything else? While using Wikipedia at least ten times a day for years, I've spotted one or two errors on the site. Since it gets the few things I know right, I trust that it gets everything else right.

No comments: