Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bean (1997)--3/5 & Starship Troopers (1997)--4/5

November 1997. I make the wrong decision when I see “Bean” instead of “Starship Troopers” on their shared opening weekend. I have to suffer through a whole week of classmates—particularly A.J. Hautzenroeder in 11th-grade English—telling me how awesome it is. Mr. Bean, the BBC character, and “Bean,” the movie about him, are mildly diverting. People usually love him or hate him. More entertaining at the screening than the film is the solitary middle-aged woman who knows she’s going to laugh so hard that she’s brought a new box of Kleenex to wipe her tears. The tissues do get used.

By the time I see “Starship Troopers,” all of the most disgusting and dirty parts have been described to me ad nauseum. It’s still awesome.

NPH, amazing as ever.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

no way! you can't be serious- starship troopers is one of THE WORST movies! It looks like it was filmed in some guys basement with the budget of like $1,000. Plus the only thing it had in common with the book was the title and they should have just gone ahead and changed that too.

Although I love NPH in most things, this is just one I couldn't get on board with.

Stephen said...

Haha. This one does get a bad rap.

Well, with a few exceptions, I'm a Paul Verhoeven junkie. All of his films have a base or camp appeal. Most of them have more to say.

I just watched "Starship Troopers" again two weeks ago. It holds up surprisingly well. Verhoeven et al knew exactly how far CG had come at the time. They designed the movie with this in mind. Today, the special effects look remarkably good for a movie from eleven years ago--and this is on Blu-Ray, which doesn't do cheap movies any favors. (Look at "Episode I" for the flip-side. Or "Starship Troopers 3." Ugh.)

The parody of a fascistic, war-crazed society echoes any war, so it resonates well with the outgoing administration.

Also, Verhoeven is always forthcoming and inciteful in his prolific director's commentaries. Sometimes he's more entertaining than the film in question.