Tuesday, May 5, 2009

More on Shedd's Spread Country Crock

As a kid, during "General Hospital" breaks, the Country Crock ads--those ones with disembodied hands fetishizing the product--drove me crazy. I desperately needed to see the people who were talking.

Clevelander Jack Riley is the longtime voice of the man in the Country Crock commercials. You may recognize him as the voice of Stu Pickles on "Rugrats" or as the funny guy who traded off with Fred Willard on "The Tonight Show" in a series of satellite interviews. He also has a brief role in "Boogie Nights" as (I forget if it's) Amber Waves' or her ex-husband's lawyer.

I made these connection a few years ago--I happened to be listening to the radio as he sat in the broadcast booth for a few innings of a mid-season Tribe game. I bet it's the only time Tom Hamilton talked about "Boogie Nights" on the air!


3 comments:

eviltwinn24 said...

The worst part was the the evolving relationship. I remember when Man-hands proposed, and also the one where Woman-hands tells Man-hands she's pregnant.

Jana said...

He looks like David Letterman.

Jana said...

Oh, and those commercials, although unforgettable, never interested me in eating Shedd's Spread. It was too margarine-y in flavor. It's the cheap junk you get in little packs in restaurants sometimes.